Enjoy this next episode with Sandra Pierce. Her generosity and kindness of spirit is so evident, and her reinvention into the “Bag Lady of Bay Street” has inspired and helped so many women in her path. Not to mention her philanthropy efforts, Sandra is a force to be reckoned with, and we can’t wait to see what she does in the next decades of her life!
Sandra Pierce is a Portfolio Manager with RBC Dominion Securities and has been providing investment leadership for over 30 years and has an enviable reputation as an advocate for the empowerment of women – she is known, colloquially and in the media, as ‘The Bag Lady of Bay Street™’. For decades Sandra has passionately pursued her mission to give women a voice in the investment world. Sandra has been in the trenches driving real change on Bay Street to narrow the gender investing gap.
Thirteen years ago Sandra began a philanthropic campaign to raise funds and awareness for the global initiative Because I am a Girl. Sandra was inspired to assemble influential women in order to help those in parts of the world where raising healthy, educated girls can transform entire countries for the better. And so was born her fundraiser “The Power of the Purse™”.
Here are her key takeaways:
- The “bag lady syndrome” is a common affliction among women who worry, will I have enough money when I retire to look after myself and everyone else? There is a general anxiety around money which often stems from how we are brought up.
- We shouldn’t be ashamed of being worried about our financial situation – we are all capable of managing our own investments and shouldn’t have to wait till a divorce, retirement, widowhood to figure it out
- In order to face our fears it is important to seek support from our spouses or close friends and family. Sometimes we have to put on a mask, take action, and watch ourselves gain the confidence to try something new. Gaining confidence is really a journey.
- If you don’t try something new, how do you know you’ll love it? Don’t say no to things just because they frighten you
- Ageism today is still one of the acceptable “isms” and we all need to change that. One out of 2 people are “ageist”
- Go out and be your “bad ass self!”
- Money is just a form of energy. It helps you to get from point A to point B. You need to have a great life too!
- Soft skills are not “soft” – these are skills sought after now more than ever!
- Women’s rights are the issue of the 21st century. Empowering women and young girls is so important – especially in developing countries. Philanthropy can help you flourish as you age
- Reinvention can be many things. Starting something completely different or within where you are currently. Taking charge of your investments is also reinventing yourself if you haven’t done it in the past
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe, rate and review. Share with your friends – it means the world to us!
- Read Kavita’s latest article here: https://www.anokhilife.com/work-life-capturing-your-mid-life-magic-a-step-by-step-process-to-rediscovering-your-true-calling
- Sign up for our free community at: https://itsmytimenowcoaching.com/contact-us/
- Join our private Facebook Group, Power Purpose Play Global: https://www.facebook.com/groups/345142570007158
- Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/power.purpose.play
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/power.purpose.play/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8943313/
- Reach out to Kavita directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org for suggestions, or if you know someone with a story of reinvention